Despite Michael Bisping’s championship success, ‘The Count’ is still discredited and mocked by other middleweight contenders.
At the top of the list is Chris Weidman, who said it’s ‘embarrassing’ that Bisping is officially listed as champion. Weidman, 32, lost the 185-pound belt to Luke Rockhold, who Bisping knocked out earlier this year at UFC 199.
Bisping’s win sent shockwaves throughout the MMA community, as the 37-year-old took the fight on short notice and hasn’t demonstrated the kind of knockout power he used to put away Rockhold at The Forum in Inglewood, California.
Featured as a guest on the Fight Society podcast with FOX Sport’s Damon Martin, Bisping said he chuckles anytime he hears a complaint from Weidman or any of the other MW contenders.
“When Chris Weidman is whining. When Yoel Romero is going on. When Luke Rockhold is going on and ‘Jacare’ and all these guys, oh my god, I laugh. I sit there and I look at them and I crack a smile and chuckle to myself,” Bisping said.
"Every time I hear them whine and complain and (expletive) and whine and moan, it puts a smile on my face. I sit back here and take a glance at the top of my TV where the belt sits and I have a little chuckle to myself," Bisping reaffirmed.
Bisping’s first title defense will come against old rival, Dan Henderson at UFC 204. The pay-per-view takes place this Saturday, October 8 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England.