Georges St-Pierre’s current contract dilemma with the UFC has caused quite the uproar.
Last week, the Canadian MMA star announced that he was a free agent and no longer under contract with the UFC. The promotion refuted St-Pierre’s claims and said he is still very much under contract, but GSP insists he’s a free agent.
Canadian fans are not happy with the news and have called for a boycott of UFC 206 in Toronto on social media.
Prior to St-Pierre’s bombshell announcement, the former welterweight champion was rumored to headline the event and expressed his interest in a rematch with rival Nick Diaz. GSP said WME-IMG’s recent purchase of the UFC had a lot to do with with the move.
The specifics of GSP’s contract dispute are unclear, but former UFC light heavyweight and heavyweight legend Randy Couture, who had contractual problems with the UFC in the past, expects a long road for MMA’s favorite welterweight.
UFC 206 currently boasts a light heavyweight championship rematch between Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson in the main event, but is seriously lacking star power. The Toronto pay-per-view is currently scheduled to take place at the Air Canada Centre on December 10.