EliteXC Cleared in "StandGate" Fight Fixing Scandal

Sherdog reports:

A preliminary investigation launched by the Florida State Boxing Commission into the circumstances surrounding a last-minute Oct. 4 matchup between Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson and Seth Petruzelli at EliteXC “Heat” has been closed, according to Alexis Antonacci, a Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation representative.
...
FSBC Executive Director Thomas Molloy interviewed Petruzelli, EliteXC Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen and inquired with both the Nevada and California State Athletic Commissions regarding the promotion’s past conduct in their jurisdictions.

Molloy also contacted David “Tank” Abbott, who lost to Ferguson at a Miami EliteXC event in February 2008. Molloy asked if Abbott had been asked to fight in a particular manner, to which the former UFC superstar answered, “No, nothing was said.”

Though Pro Elite officials denied any wrongdoing on Oct. 4, at least one employee has stepped forward to voice his doubts following the company’s demise.

“I have no proof [but] I’d be amazed if [Petruzelli] wasn’t paid to stand up,” Pro Elite executive consultant T. Jay Thompson told Sherdog.com Tuesday.

Thompson also said two EliteXC employees expressed their confidence to him cageside of an arrangement that had been made with Petruzelli before the fight. Thompson said he alerted Pro Elite CEO Chuck Champion the next day.
Back to top ↑