clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Poirier says McGregor’s no takedown proposal ‘reeks of insecurity’; Conor responds

New, 38 comments

“This is mixed martial arts.”

Last month, Conor McGregor tweeted a bit of a proposal for his UFC 264 foe in Dustin Poirier. The former two-division champion suggested that the first one to shoot for a takedown in their trilogy is a “dusty b—ch.”

Poirier has since responded in an interview with ESPN, slamming the idea of removing facets of the sport for their bout.

“He just said the first one to shoot is a dusty b—ch. That’s what he said, yeah? Isn’t he the one who’s always preaching about the flow, the full martial arts, no holds barred, no rules, the ultimate fighting, when he’s talking about boxing stuff?” Poirier responded.

“How ‘bout the first one to get taken down is a dusty b—ch? This is mixed martial arts. Put it all together. It reeks of insecurity to me.”

McGregor of course responded by talking more smack, and pointing out how he was winning the clinch exchanges of a fight that he lost by KO.

Their original match up happened almost seven years ago, at featherweight, with McGregor winning by first round TKO. Last January, Poirier avenged that loss by scoring a second round TKO. Now 1-1, the pair will settle the score at UFC 264 on July 10.