UFC president Dana White is not only adamant that Jon Jones won’t Francis Ngannou at heavyweight, but that the pound-for-pound king will never fight at heavyweight.
White claims he has ‘absolutely moved on’ from the idea of Jones fighting at heavyweight and that No. 2-ranked contender Derrick Lewis is more deserving of a title shot.
“Yeah, I’ve absolutely moved on,” White said of Jones’ move to HW in a recent interview with TMZ Sports. “Listen, I put on fights every Saturday. We have a window where we try to build some fights and make some things happen. If the fights don’t happen within that window, we move on, and realistically, I mean I’ve been saying it since the beginning, Derrick Lewis is the guy who should be getting the title shots. He beat Francis Ngannou. He’s next in line, he’s coming off of great performances and that’s a wrap. We’re moving on”.
White has said previously that Ngannou-Lewis will take place in the summer, much to the dismay of fight fans. White and Jones have been unable to reach an agreement on fighter pay and. for now, ‘Bones’ seems to be enjoying the downtime. The JacksonWink protege isn’t sure when he’ll return, but assured us that his ‘first fight back is going to be huge’.