It looks like Miesha Tate and Ben Askren aren’t the only former fighters finding themselves lured out of what seemed, at the time, to be fairly finalized retirements. Former multi-divisional boxing superstar Oscar De La Hoya has announced his return the ring as well.
The 48-year-old ‘Golden Boy’ hung up his gloves way back in 2008, after an 8th round TKO loss at the hands of Manny Pacquiao. At the time, De La Hoya told reporters that, while “my heart still wants to fight,” his body could no longer keep up with elite level competition. De La Hoya had already started his own brand, Golden Boy Promotions, back in 2002. After walking away from competition, he turned much more of his attention to being a full time promoter, working with talents like Canelo Alvarez, Manny Pacquiao, Deontay Wilder, and Amir Khan among many many others.
Still despite his success on the business side of combat sports, it appears the competitive fire has yet to die out, and with fellow yesteryear stars like Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, and Roy Jones Jr. all finding success into their later years with high profile exhibition bouts, it’s perhaps not so surprising that De La Hoya would look to carve out a piece of the action.
To that end, during the Ben Asrken vs. Jake Paul press conference for their upcoming Triller PPV – and after being brought the stage by Snoop Dogg – De La Hoya took his opportunity to announce his return to the ring.
“July 3, I’m making my comeback,” De La Hoya told viewers before dropping the mic and walking off stage.
Oscar De La Hoya, 48, announcing his July 3rd comeback (with a broken microphone) alongside Snoop Dogg at the Jake Paul vs Ben Askren presser… pic.twitter.com/oaBqDrZZr5— Michael Benson (@MichaelBensonn) March 26, 2021
No word yet on who he’ll face for his return to the ring. Stay tuned to Bloody Elbow for more news and notes as details become available.