It looks like we will get to see the undisputed heavyweight title fight between Tyson Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs) and Anthony Joshua (24-1, 22 KOs) in 2021.
ESPN reported on Monday that the contract for a two-fight deal — one on a 50-50 purse split, the rematch 60-40 in favor of the winner of the first fight — has been signed by both parties.
“We’d like to get a site deal confirmed in the next month,” said Eddie Hearn, managing director of Matchroom Sport, Joshua’s promoter. “The hard part is always getting everybody to put pen to paper. But this was a major effort from all parties to get this over the line. You had rival promoters, rival networks and rival fighters.”
The plan is for the first fight to happen in the June-July range, with a rematch tentatively slotted for the end of the year. Expect the Middle East region to be aggressive in its bidding to host this highly anticipated showdown, as their massive site fees can easily offset the lack of a full attendance due to the pandemic.
Fury has said that he hasn’t been training and has been drinking “up to 12 pints a day” during his layoff, which extends back to his February 2020 victory over Deontay Wilder to win the WBC title. In fairness, Tyson says a lot of things and he’s big on mind games.
Joshua did fight late last year and with some fans in attendance prior to the United Kingdom’s latest COVID-19 lockdown. The WBO, IBF, and WBA champion stopped Kubrat Pulev late in round nine of their December clash.
All that is left is a date, a venue, and an official announcement. I wouldn’t celebrate just yet because this is boxing after all, but we are not too far away from having this mega-clash realized.