Bloody Elbow fight experts, Zane Simon & Eddie Mercado, are here tonight – Saturday, October 2nd., 2021, to breakdown the UFC Vegas 38: ‘Thiago Santos vs. Johnny Walker’ event, which was broadcast from the cozy confines of the Apex Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The guys will have hot takes, possible next fights, as well as reactions to the overall event in the player above, or can be caught on our Bloody Elbow Presents YouTube Channel or any our BE Presents Podcast Network. (SPOILERS...)
After undergoing five cancelled/fizzled bouts while setting up this card, the UFC featured a lackluster 12-bout event earlier tonight, with a Light Heavyweight showdown in the main event. They showcased a battle between fight veterans, #5 ranked Thiago ‘Marreta (The Sledgehammer)” Santos and #10 ranked, DWCS alum, Johnny Walker.
"Dana, Mick, let's renew my contract, it's my last fight, lets renew. And give me my money, please." - Thiago Santos #UFCVegas38— Bloody Elbow (@BloodyElbow) October 3, 2021
For the co-main event, we had a Middleweight brawl between fight veteran, Kevin ‘Trailblazer’ Holland sporting a 20-7 record and up-and-comer, Kyle Daukaus with an impressive start in his 10-1 record to date.
Kevin Holland vs. Kyle Daukaus called a No Contest at 3:43 of Round 1 due to an incidental headbutt. #UFCVegas38— Bloody Elbow (@BloodyElbow) October 3, 2021
Also on the card, we had a Women’s Flyweight bout between the undefeated Casey ‘King’ O’Neill for a POTN victory over the other Shevchenko sister, Antonina, and another bonus earning bout in our Bantamweight tilt between D. Silva de Andrade and Gaetano ‘El Tigre’ Pirello.
"Now I'm here and I'm staying and I'm for real, and I hope I've proved that to everyone tonight." - Casey O'Neill #UFCVegas38— Bloody Elbow (@BloodyElbow) October 2, 2021
Douglas d’Silva def. Gaetano Pirrrello via KO (punch) at 2:04 of Round 1...
Looked funky going for the double leg trip from that far out, but it worked. Perez backs off and gives Eduardo space, jumps on the guillotine as Eduardo stands. Eduardo falls back to the mat, and Perez is on top in side control. Scarfhold armlock for the sub win!!! #UFCVegas38— Bloody Elbow (@BloodyElbow) October 2, 2021
This week the guys’ picks heading into the 12-bout event were:
Both: Holland - No Contest
Zane: Cirkunov, Eddie: Jotko
Zane: Gordon, Eddie: Solecki
Zane: O’Neill, Eddie: Shevchenko
Zane: Smith, Eddie: Mullarkey
Zane: Young, Eddie: Egger
Zane: Perez, Eddie: Eduardo
"I can only thank the UFC for everything they've done for me so far." - Bethe Correia on her retirement. #UFCVegas38— Bloody Elbow (@BloodyElbow) October 2, 2021
Overall, this now 12-bout card saw two exhilarating first round finishes, five impressive KO/TKO’s, one sweet submission, and five hard-fought decisions, two split. Rounding things out, bonuses for putting forth POTN efforts went to Casey O’Neill and Silva de Andrade; FOTN honors went to no one tonight. What a great night of fights we have to share with you, join us to discuss all the action...
Here’s a look at the fight card, updated fight records & results —
ESPN/ESPN+ MAIN CARD | SAT. OCT 2
12. 205lbs: Thiago Santos (22-9) DEF. Johnny Walker (18-6) – DEC, Unanimous
11. 185lbs: Kevin Holland (21-7-0) vs. Kyle Daukaus (10-2-0) – Ends in a No Contest, Accidental Headbutt
10. 170lbs: Niko Price (15-5) DEF. Alex Oliveira (22-11) – DEC, Unanimous
9. 185lbs: Krzysztof Jotko (23-5) DEF. Misha Cirkunov (15-7) – DEC, Split
8. 155lbs: Alexander Hernandez (13-4) DEF. Mike Breeden (10-4) – KO/TKO, Overhand Right at 1:20 of Rd 1
7. 155lbs: Jared Gordon (18-4) DEF. Joe Solecki (11-3) – DEC, Split
6. 125lbs: Casey O’Neill (8-0) DEF. Antonina Shevchenko (9-4) – KO/TKO, G&P at 4:47 of Rd 2, Total 9:47
5. 135lbs: Karol Rosa (15-3) DEF. Bethe Correira (11-6) – DEC, Unanimous
4. 155lbs: Jamie Mullarkey (14-4) DEF. Devonte Smith (11-3) – KO/TKO, Punches at 2:51 of Rd 2, Total 7:51
3. 135lbs: D’ Silva de Andrade (27-4) DEF. Gaetano Pirrello (15-7) – KO/TKO, Counter Left Hook at 2:04 of Rd 1
2. 135lbs: Stephanie Egger (6-2) DEF. Shanna Young (7-4) – KO/TKO, G & P at 2:22 of Rd 2, Total 7:22
1. 125lbs: Alejandro Perez (22-8) DEF. Johnny Eduardo (28-13) – SUB, Modified Armbar at 4:13 of Rd 2, Total 9:13
Weight cuts & win bonuses are detrimental to the sport of MMA#UFCVegas38— Eddie Mercado (@TheEddieMercado) October 3, 2021
Be sure to follow Zane - @TheZaneSimon & Eddie - @TheEddieMercado; and follow @BloodyElbow on twitter as well, for all the latest in MMA happenings. ‘Bloody Elbow Presents’ is a mixed martial arts podcast network presented to you by Bloody Elbow:
If you enjoy our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on whichever ‘BE Presents’ Podcast Channel happens to be your listening platform of choice: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM, & Amazon Music! – While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.
Join us again for another episode of ‘6th Round’ on Saturday, October 9th, for UFC Vegas 39...