Sean O’Malley claims that it was Dominick Cruz who turned down their targeted fight earlier this year and that ‘The Dominator’ made a huge mistake because he is now fighting on the UFC 269 prelims while ‘Suga’ will fight on the main card.
O’Malley, who is one of the hottest prospects the bantamweight division has to offer, said Cruz would be wise to ‘learn from the daddy’ going forward.
“I want to address the Dominick Cruz stuff first and I don’t want to be mean because he’s clearly slowing down,” O’Malley said on a recent episode of the Timbo Suga Show (h/t Sportskeeda). “Not physically maybe, but mentally he said he doesn’t want that fight because he wants to fight someone higher up, so therefore he turned the fight down.
“I asked that fight, we asked for that fight for a while. We asked Sean Shelby, he turned it down. I didn’t listen to the interview but it’s just a weird thing to say. He said something to where I’m like, ‘Dude, you need to learn from the daddy’ because I’m above you on the card.”
O’Malley, 26, will take on Brazil’s Raulian Paiva on the main card while Cruz, who is ten years O’Malley’s elder, will battle top-ten bantamweight Pedro Munhoz on the prelims. UFC 269: Oliveira vs. Poirier will take place on Dec. 11 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.