Welcome to the 6th Round Retro Post-Fight Show. This is the show that digs into the archives and gives you a comprehensive review of classic MMA events, that span as far back as UFC 1. Join Eddie Mercado & Victor Rodriguez as they relive the SUPERBRAWL 41: ICON PPV (pay-per-view) event this week, complete with results, analysis, and of course a few laughs.
As mentioned, this week we feature the July 23rd., 2005, ICON SUPERBRAWL 41: ‘Robbie Lawler vs. Falaniko Vitale’ PPV event, (last episode we covered UFC 91: ‘Couture vs. Lesnar’). This event was a jam-packed brief eight-fight card, seven of which were exciting finishes, leaving only one decision for the entire event. The show went down from the Icon Sport Arena in Honolulu, Hawaii.
The main event that night showcased one of the best fights of the year, when middleweight standouts Robbie Lawler and Falaniko Vitale battled it out for the Superbrawl Middleweight Championship, going only 4:36 into round two out of three rounds. Lawler was able to secure the ‘W’ via KO/TKO, Punches to the veteran, Niko. Lawler had performed fairly well in his UFC debut prior to this bout, having won four of his seven bouts.
‘Ruthless’ was entering the octagon after a nine-month break, having left the UFC after two losses against fellow up-and-comers Evan Tanner & Nick Diaz. To refresh your memory, this event preceded Lawler’s days in Strikeforce, which went down before his eventual return to the UFC in 2013.
In the co-main event we watched Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller quickly submit Mark Moreno with a Round 1 armbar. The rest of the card was stellar, with all eight bouts shown on the PPV broadcast, four of which were first round finishes. Let’s check it out...
Let’s take a look at the card, complete with fight results:
- MAIN EVENT TITLE FIGHT: Robbie Lawler DEF. Falaniko Vitale via KO/TKO-Punches at 4:36 of Rd 2 of 3, Total 9:36 - 185 lbs
- Co-Main: Jason Miller DEF. Mark Moreno via SUB-Armbar at 4:54 of Rd 1 - 170 lbs
- Ed Newalu DEF. Mark Oshiro via DEC-Unanimous - 121 lbs
- Ryan Diaz DEF. Kolo Koka via SUB-Armbar at 4:01 of Rd 2, Total 9:01 - 170 lbs
- KJ Noons DEF. Bryson Kamaka via KO/TKO-Head Kick at 1:20 of Rd 1 - 170 lbs
- Nick Ring DEF. Kimo Woelfel via SUB-Rear Naked Choke at 2:06 of Rd 1 - 185 lbs
- Reese Andy DEF. Trevor Garrett via SUB-Rear Naked Choke at 4:15 of Rd 1 - 185 lbs
- Kala Hose DEF. Corey Daniels via KO/TKO-Punch at 2:54 of Rd 2, Total 7:54 - 205 lbs
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on one of our other BE Presents Channels: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM – whichever one happens to be your listening platform of choice. While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.