Colby Covington was telling the truth.
Earlier this week ‘Chaos’ posted a picture of his signature for a fight agreement with Tyron Woodley for a welterweight matchup on Aug. 22.
The controversial UFC welterweight has accused Woodley of backing out of the agreement, however and, according to UFC president Dana White, Covington was telling the truth (kinda).
Speaking at a media scrum in Abu Dhabi on Friday (h/t Alexander K. Lee of MMA Fighting), White said the UFC is working on booking a matchup between Woodley and Covington and that they are waiting on ‘T-Wood’ to sign the contract.
“It’s a fight we’re working on,” White said. “Listen, Woodley said he wanted to fight him. Woodley’s been talking about fighting Colby Covington since Colby fought Usman, so it is true that Colby signed the deal and he’s ready to go. We’re just waiting on Woodley.”
“I’m always trying to make the fights that should be made or people want to see,” he added. “People can say whatever they want publicly, but behind the scenes it’s another story. I can’t speak honestly about what’s going on, I’m not involved with that, I’m in here, but we’re trying to make Woodley vs. Covington. Covington is definitely in.”
Woodley, the former UFC welterweight champion, has suggested moving the fight back to September or October but White isn’t sure that will be an option.
“I don’t know,” White said. “I couldn’t tell you right now.”
Woodley hasn’t fought since his unanimous decision loss to Gilbert Burns at UFC on ESPN 9, while Covington is looking to rebound from his fifth-round TKO defeat to Kamaru Usman at UFC 245.