Sorry Kamaru Usman, but there’s no way you’re getting your hands on Conor McGregor.
That’s according to UFC president Dana White, who shot down the rumors of Usman vs. McGregor after ‘The Nigerian Nightmare’ called out McGregor on Twitter earlier this week and offered the Irishman a title shot at welterweight.
“Listen, the next title fight for [Kamaru] Usman is going to be one of these guys — it’s gonna be Colby [Covington], [Jorge] Masvidal, [Leon] Edwards,” White told ESPN on Wednesday. “It’s going to be one of those guys. It’s not gonna be Conor McGregor.”
McGregor, for his part, didn’t seem much interested in the bout anyhow, as the former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion has turned his attention towards Anderson Silva after the UFC legend called for a catchweight bout with ‘The Notorious’ at 176 pounds.
“I believe that fans of the UFC and of this sport would like to watch this great martial arts spectacle, it would be fantastic to test my martial arts skills against him!!” Silva said.
McGregor last fought at UFC 246, where he disposed of Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone in just 40 seconds in the UFC 246 main event. Usman, on the other hand, hasn’t fought since his TKO victory over Colby Covington at UFC 245, which saw the 33-year-old TKO Covington in the fifth round to retain his welterweight title.