Welcome to the 6th Round Retro Post-Fight Show. This is the show that digs into the archives and gives you a comprehensive review of classic MMA events, that span as far back as UFC 1. Join Eddie Mercado & Victor Rodriguez as they relive the UFC 91 PPV (pay-per-view) event this week, complete with results, analysis, and of course a few laughs.
This week we feature the Nov. 15th, 2008, UFC 91 PPV: ‘Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar’ event, (last episode on a non-fight week we covered UFC Tuf 2 Finale: ‘Sanchez vs. Diaz’). This was a jam packed nine-fight card, eight of which were finishes, leaving only one Decision for the entire event. UFC 91 went down from the infamous MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The main event that night showcased one of the best fights of the year, when heavyweight standouts Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar battled it out for the World Heavyweight Championship, going only two of five rounds. Lesnar was still relatively new to the UFC at the time, after going 1-1 in the UFC against Frank Mir and Heath Herring, the WWE import received an unprecedented and controversial title shot against the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture. ‘The Natural’ was entering the octagon on a two-fight win streak against the giant Lesnar, having won against both Gabriel Gonzaga and Tim Sylvia prior to this event.
The rest of the card was one of the best of the year, with all nine bouts shown on the PPV broadcast. In the co-main event we watched Joe Stevenson quickly succumb to ‘KenFlo’. We also got to watch the exciting Jeremy Stephens deliver the ‘Knockout of the Night’ to Rafael dos Anjos, catch Dustin Hazelett with the ‘Submission of the Night’ against Tamdan McCrory and rounding it all out our ‘FOTN’ was actually not Lesnar/Couture but a battle that went the distance between Aaron Riley and Jorge Gurgel. Let’s check it out:
Let’s take a look at the card, complete with fight results (SPOILERS):
- MAIN EVENT TITLE FIGHT: Brock Lesnar DEF. Randy Couture via KO/TKO-Punches at 3:07 of Rd 2 of 5, Total 8:07 - 265 lbs
- Co-Main: Kenny Florian DEF. Joe Stevenson via SUB-Rear-Naked Choke at 4:03 of Rd 1 - 155 lbs
- Dustin Hazelett DEF. Tamdan McCrory via SUB-Reverse Armbar at 2:59 of Rd 1 - 170 lbs
- Gabriel Gonzaga DEF. Josh Hendricks via KO/TKO-Punches at 1:01 of Rd 1 - 265 lbs
- Demian Maia DEF. Nate Quarry via SUB-Rear Naked Choke at 2:13 of Rd 1 - 185 lbs
Submission of the Night: Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory - $60K to Hazelett
FOTN: Aaron Rily vs. Jorge Gurgel - $60K to each fighter
Knockout of the Night: Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos - $60K to Stephens
- Aaron Riley DEF. Jorge Gurgel via DEC-Unanimous - 155 lbs
- Jeremy Stephens DEF. Rafael dos Anjos via KO/TKO-Punches at 0:39 of Rd 3, Total 10:39 - 155 lbs
- Mark Bocek DEF. Alvin Robinson via SUB-Rear Naked Choke at 3:16 of Rd 3, Total 13:16 - 155 lbs
- Matt Brown DEF. Ryan Thomas via SUB-Armbar at 0:57 Rd 2, Total 5:57 - 170 lbs
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on one of our other BE Presents Channels: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM – whichever one happens to be your listening platform of choice. While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.