Welcome to the 6th Round Retro Post-Fight Show, featuring a look back at UFC 84: Ill Will, (last week we covered UFC 62: ‘Liddell vs. Sobral II). This is the show that digs into the archives and gives you a comprehensive review of classic MMA events, that span as far back as UFC 1. Join Eddie Mercado & Victor Rodriguez of Bloody Elbow as they relive this UFC PPV (Pay-per-view) event this week, complete with results, analysis, and of course a few laughs.
On May 24th, 2008, UFC 84: Ill Will ‘BJ Penn vs. Sean Sherk’, an eleven-fight PPV card, chock full of nine finishes, which garnered 475,000 PPV Buys that weekend, meaning a gate of $3,732,000 with 14,773 fans in attendance, went down from the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
So, the main event that night showcased a World Lightweight Championship Fight. BJ ‘The Prodigy’ Penn, was defending his title, on just a two-fight winning streak, having just beat Joe Stevenson at 4:02 in Round 2 via Rear Naked Choke a few months back in January of that year. The Prodigy was entering the octagon with a 13-3 professional record against fellow American, Sean ‘The Muscle Shark’ Sherk; who was on a three-fight win streak, having last defeated Hermes França at UFC 73.
In the co-main event we had the infamous Wanderlei ‘The Axe Murderer’ Silva, who hadn't had a win in a few years, since back when he was in PRIDE. He was coming in on a 32-7 record, and completely decimated his opponent, Keith ‘The Dean of Mean’ Jardine via Punches at just 0:36 of Round 1. Also that night, on the main card we got to watch up-and-comer, undefeated Lyoto ‘The Dragon’ Machida, going the distance against ‘The Huntington Beach Bad Boy’, Tito Ortiz, who fell to 15-6 that night.
Let’s take a look at the card, complete with fight results:
- MAIN EVENT TITLE FIGHT: BJ Penn DEF. Sean Sherk via KO/TKO-Knee & Punches at 5:00 of Rd 3 of 5, Total 15:00 - 155 lbs
- Co-Main: Wanderlei Silva DEF. Keith Jardine via KO/TKO-Punches at 0:36 of Rd 1 - 205 lbs
- Goran Reljić DEF. Wilson Gouveia via KO/TKO-Punches at 3:15 of Rd 2, Total 8:15 - 185 lbs
- Thiago Silva DEF. Antonio Mendes via SUB-Punches at 2:54 of Rd 1 - 205 lbs
- Rousimar Palhares DEF. Ivan Salaverry via SUB-Armbar at 2:36 of Rd 1 - 185 lbs
- Rameau Sokoudjou DEF. Kazuhiro Nakamura via KO/TKO-Leg Injury at 5:00 of Rd 1 - 205 lbs
- Rich Clementi DEF. Terry Etim via DEC-Unanimous - 155 lbs
- Yoshiyuki Yoshida DEF. War Machine via SUB-Anaconda Choke at 0:56 of Rd 1 - 170 lbs
- Dong Hyun Kim DEF. Jason Tan via KO/TKO-Elbows at 0:25 of R3, Total 10:25 - 170 lbs
- Shane Carmin DEF. Christian Wellisch via KO/TKO-Punch at 0:44 of Rd 1 - 265 lbs
Knockout of the Night: Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine - $75K bonus to Silva
Fight of the Night: Goran Reljić vs. Wilson Gouveia - $75K bonus to each fighter
Submission of the Night: Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry - $75K bonus to Palhares
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on one of our other BE Presents Channels: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM – whichever one happens to be your listening platform of choice. While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.