Welcome to the 6th Round Retro Post-Fight Show, featuring a look back at UFC 62 Liddell vs Sobral II, (last week we covered Chuck Liddell vs. Renato Sobral 1, from UFC 40: Vendetta in 2002). This is the show that digs into the archives and gives you a comprehensive review of classic MMA events, that span as far back as UFC 1. Join Eddie Mercado & Victor Rodriguez of Bloody Elbow as they relive this UFC PPV (Pay-per-view) event this week, complete with results, analysis, and of course a few laughs.
On August 26th, 2006, UFC 62: ‘Liddell vs. Sobral II’, a nine-fight PPV card, littered with five submission finishes, which garnered 500,000 PPV Buys that weekend, meaning a gate of $3,040,880 with 9,859 fans in attendance, went down from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
So, the main event that night showcased a World Light Heavyweight Championship Fight. Chuck ‘The Iceman’ Liddell, was looking to win for a second time. He was on a five-fight winning streak, having just beat Randy Couture at 1:28 in Round 2 via Punches a few months back in February of that year. The Iceman was entering the octagon with a 18-3 professional record against the Brazilian Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral, who was on a ten-fight win streak, having been defeated in their last match up at UFC 40: Vendetta back in 2002, with a Veteran professional record of 30-5.
In the co-main event we had rising star Forrest Griffin, with an impressive 12-3 record, beating his opponent, Stephan ‘The American Psycho’ Bonnar for the second time via Unanimous Decision. Also that night, on the main card we got to watch the likes of Nick Diaz and Cheick Kongo.
Let’s take a look at the card, complete with fight results:
- MAIN EVENT: Chuck Liddell DEF. Renato Sobral via KO/TKO-Punches at 1:53 of Rd 1 - 205 lbs
- Co-Main: Forrest Griffin DEF. Stephan Bonnar via DEC-Unanimous - 205 lbs
- Nick Diaz DEF. Josh Neer via SUB-Kimura at 1:42 of Rd 3, Total 11:42 - 170 lbs
- Cheick Kongo DEF. Christian Wellisch via KO/TKO-Knee at 2:51 of Rd 1 - 265 lbs
- Hermes França DEF. Jamie Varner via SUB-Armbar at 3:31 of Rd 3, Total 13:31 - 155 lbs
- Eric Schafer DEF. Rob MacDonald via SUB-Arm-Triangle Choke at 2:26 of Rd 1 - 205 lbs
- Wilson Gouvela DEF. Wes Combs via SUB-Rear Naked Choke at 3:23 of Rd 1 - 205 lbs
- David Heath DEF. Cory Waimsley via SUB-Rear Naked Choke at 2:32 of Rd 1 - 205 lbs
- Yushin Okami DEF. Alan Belcher via DEC-Unanimous - 185 lbs
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on one of our other BE Presents Channels: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM – whichever one happens to be your listening platform of choice. While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.