Zane Simon & Dayne Fox are back to breakdown the ‘TYSON-JONES’ Exhibition Fight from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, and the ‘UFC VEGAS 15: ‘SMITH VS. CLARK’ event, which was broadcast from Las Vegas, Nevada’s #UFCAPEX Center. The guys will have hot takes, possible next fights, as well as reactions to the overall events in the player above, or on our Bloody Elbow Presents YouTube Channel and BE Presents Podcast Network. (SPOILERS...)
Tonight, we had dueling combat sports to decide to watch; it was a big night for boxing, with the eight-round, Iron Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr. Super Exhibition PPV Fight on fite.tv, this match was some ten odd years in the making and had a lot of hype surrounding the event as a whole, considering it also featured ‘YouTube Guy’ Jake Paul and Former NBA star Nate Robinson,
as well as former UFC Heavyweight Rashad Coulter stepping into the ring (Coulter Cancelled). The guys will definitely be chiming in with some thoughts on those fights.
Also, in the realm of MMA, over on ESPN, instead of Curtis Blaydes battling it out with Derrick Lewis in the main event of UFC VEGAS 15, we now had our former co-main event, Anthony Smith vs. Devin Clark, elevated to the main and extended from three rounds to five. This, due to Blaydes testing positive for COVID-19 a day before the event.
Overall, this 12-bout card, now cut down to ten bouts, saw three swift finishes in Rd 1 - including the main event, four subs - including the main event, three exciting KO/TKO’s, & three decisions, Rounding things out, bonuses for putting forth POTN efforts went to Anthony Smith, Miguel Baeza, Su Madaerji and Nathan Maness; FOTN honors went to no one tonight. What a wild night full of fights we have to discuss with you!
Anthony ‘Lionheart’ Smith basically got a chance to rebound from a couple ugly losses. The 32-year old UFC Light Heavyweight veteran, holding a 33-16 record, made his way into the octagon on a two-fight losing streak to Aleksandar Rakić and Glover Teixeira, to take on Devin ‘Brown Bear’ Clark, his 30-year old opponent, with a 12-4 record. Clark was coming off two wins in Alonzo Menifield at UFC 250 and Dequan Townsend at UFC on ESPN+ 25, both via Unanimous Decision. In the new co-main event the promotion moved up the Miguel Baeza vs. Takashi Sato Welterweight bout.
Also on the card, we had an exciting Featherweight bout, which was promoted from the prelims to the main card opener, between Jonathan ‘JSP’ Pearce and the ‘Fighting Hawaiian’ Kai Kamaka III. As if that’s not enough action, we also had a women’s Flyweight Bout to keep an eye on, with up-and-comers Ashlee Evans-Smith vs. Norma Dumont; which was preceded by a fully-packed undercard, which featured a 44-second knock out. Join us to discuss all the action...
Here’s a look at the ‘UFC VEGAS 15: ‘SMITH VS CLARK’ RESULTS & UPDATED FIGHT RECORDS:
ESPN2/ESPN+ MAIN CARD
10. 205lbs - Anthony Smith (34-16) DEF. Devin Clark (12-5) - SUB, Triangle Choke at 2:34 of Rd 1 of 5
9. 170lbs - Miguel Baeza (10-0) DEF. Takashi Sato (16-4) - SUB, Arm Triangle Choke at 4:28 of Rd 2, Total 9:28
8. 265lbs - Parker Porter (11-6) DEF. Josh Parisian (13-4) - DEC, Unanimous
7. 145lbs - Bill Algeo (14-5) DEF. Spike Carlyle (9-3) - DEC, Unanimous
6. 135lbs - Norma Dumont (5-1) DEF. Ashlee Evans-Smith (6-5) - DEC, Unanimous
5. 155lbs - Jonathan Pearce (10-4) DEF. Kai Kamaka III (8-3) - KO/TKO, G & P at 4:28 of Rd 2, Total 9:28
FIGHT OF THE NIGHT: ($50K ea.) NONE
PERFORMANCES OF THE NIGHT: ($50K ea.) 1. Anthony Smith 2. Miguel Baeza 3. Su Madaerji 4. Nathan Maness
4. 135lbs - Anderson dos Santos (21-8) DEF. Martin Day (8-5) - SUB, Guillotine Choke at 4:35 of Rd 1
3. 135lbs - Gina Manzany (7-4) DEF. Rachael Ostovich (4-6) - KO/TKO, G & P at 4:10 of Rd 3, Total 14:10
2. 135lbs - Su Mudaerji (13-4) DEF. Malcolm Gordon (12-5) - KO/TKO, Straight Punches at 0:44 seconds of Rd 1
1. 135lbs - Nate Maness (13-1) DEF. Luke Sanders (13-4)- SUB, Rear Naked Choke at 2:29 of Rd 2, Total 7:29
TYSON VS JONES JR RULES:
- It has been sanctioned as an exhibition bout
- It will take place over 8 rounds, lasting two minutes each
- The boxers will not be required to wear headgear
- They will be wearing 12-ounce gloves to minimize damage
- If either boxer suffers a bad cut, the bout is over
- Three celebrity WBC judges will score the fight remotely in an unofficial capacity (Christy Martin, Chad Dawson & Vinny Paz)
- Winner will be announced and will be awarded a special ‘Frontline Battle Belt’ with the inscription ‘Black Lives Matter’
- The results will not count on either man’s professional record
Here’s a look at the BOXING PPV CARD:
fite.tv BOXING PPV: ‘TYSON VS JONES’
6. Eight Round Exhibition Bout: Roy Jones Jr. vs. Mike Tyson:
ENDS IN A DRAW (but the internet is saying Mike won)
MIKE TYSON PRO RECORD & BIO
Born: Brooklyn, New York
Total fights: 58
Record: 50-6-2 (44 KOs)
ROY JONES JR. PRO RECORD & BIO
Born: Pensacola, Florida
Total fights: 75
Record: 66-9, 47 KOs
5. 175lbs - Jake Paul (2-0) DEF. Nate Robinson (0-1) - KO/TKO at 1:35 of Rd 2/6, Total 4:25
4. 200lbs - Badou Jack (23-3-3) DEF. Blake McKeman (13-1) - DEC, Unanimous, 8 Rds, Total 24:00
3. WBC USNBC Featherweight Title: Edward Vazquez (14-0) DEF. Irvin Gonzalez (14-3) - DEC - SPLIT, 8 Rds, Total 24:00
2. WBC USNBC Silver Lightweight Title: Jamaine Ortiz (14-0) DEF. Sulamain Segawa (13-3-1) - KO/TKO, Body Shot at 3:00 of Rd 7/10, Total 21:00
1. WBC USNBC Heavyweight Title: Joe Cusumano (19-3) DEF. Gregory Corbin (15-4) - DEC, SPLIT, 8 Rds, Total 24:00
Be sure to follow Zane - @TheZane Simon & Dayne - @Dayne Fox; follow @BloodyElbow on twitter for all the latest in MMA happenings. Bloody Elbow Presents is a mixed martial arts podcast network presented to you by Bloody Elbow. Share & Subscribe on any of our podcast platforms below to get the latest in MMA News, MMA Features, UFC Interviews, daily MMA Podcasts, UFC Fight Previews, Post-Fight Shows & More!
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on whichever BE Presents Podcast Channel happens to be your listening platform of choice: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM, & NOW AMAZON MUSIC! – While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.