It would be foolish to count out a wily veteran like Donald Cerrone ahead of UFC 246, but alas, many fans believe ‘Cowboy’ to be no more than a tune-up fight for Conor McGregor.
Cerrone may be on a two-fight losing streak, but Dana White wants to remind fans that the former UFC lightweight title challenger has come back from tougher losses in the past and should not be counted out against ‘The Notorious’.
Speaking to ESPN in a recent interview (h/t Express.co.uk), the UFC president said he is shocked by the level of disrespect shown to Cerrone since the McGregor bout was first announced last month.
“The level of disrespect being shown to ‘Cowboy’ through this whole thing...apparently people forgot [how good he is].
“‘Cowboy’ has lost two in a row. But ‘Cowboy’ has lost two in a row and gone on unbelievable runs. So let’s not count ‘Cowboy’ out.”
The UFC has been criticized for not booking McGregor against a higher-ranked opponent, but White says the Cerrone bout makes perfect sense from a matchmaking perspective.
“Nobody is disappointed about Cerrone, I promise you that. I guarantee you it will be the biggest bar business - etc, etc.
“[It’s] a crock of s**t to say anybody is disappointed about Conor versus Cerrone. Crock of s**t. Crock of s**t.
“If you look at the way we do our matchmaking, Conor lost his last fight. And Cerrone lost his last fight.
“These are two top-five guys fighting each other. Don’t listen to the bulls**t.
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone takes place later this month, Jan. 18 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.