Count former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion Conor McGregor amongst those whom were disappointed with the conclusion of last year’s ‘BMF’ title fight between Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal at UFC 244.
The fight was stopped in the third round after the doctor concluded that Diaz had taken too much damage and would be unable to continue into the championship rounds. Masvidal, who battered Diaz from pillar-to-post from rounds one to three, was awarded a TKO win and crowned the UFC’s first-ever BMF champ.
McGregor, however, believes that, due to the controversial nature of the stoppage, the BMF title should still be up for grabs.
Speaking to The MAC Life ahead of his UFC welterweight showdown with Donald Cerrone, ‘The Notorious’ said fans were robbed of a fair fight at UFC 244.
“I wasn’t really that happy with how that BMF thing ended. I think it’s unfinished, in my opinion, that belt is unfinished. It was only getting into a good bout, I believe. We were robbed of rounds four and five in that bout,” McGregor said (H/T BJPenn.com).
If McGregor beats Cerrone later this month at UFC 246, the Irishman is expected to call out Masvidal in his post-fight interview. The highly anticipated pay-per-view takes place on Jan. 18 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.