Zane Simon & Eddie Mercado are here to breakdown this event with hot takes, possible next fights, as well as reactions to the overall event.
On the 3rd of Aug, 2019, the UFC went to Newark, New Jersey, to bring us UFC on ESPN 5. The event featured a Welterweight bout featuring Colby ‘Chaos’ Covington defeating Robbie ‘Ruthless’ Lawler, via Unanimous Decision after all five vigorous rounds, going at each other hard, amateur scorekeepers had it fairly close. This, following our co-main event, which featured Lightweight veteran Clay ‘The Carpenter’ Guida being devastatingly and rapidly defeated by Jim ‘A-10’ Miller, via Guillotine Choke Submission in a short 58 seconds. Joaquim Silva vs Nasrat Haqparast proved to be a brief 5 and a half minute fight with Nasrat defeating Silva via KO/TKO, delivering a powerful Overhand Left to finish the bout.
We had a couple more decent finishes with Gerald Meerschaert winning via Submission with a Guillotine Choke at 1:49 in Round 3 against Trevin Giles, and Scott “Hot Sauce” Holtzman defeating Dong Hyun Ma via KO/TKO with a Doctor Stoppage five minutes into Round 2. Our first two main card bouts ended via Unanimous Decision with Kennedy Nzechukwu defeating Darko Stosic and Mickey Gall actually defeating Salim Touahri. The remainder of the card was was stacked with finishes all throughout - other than the opening bout decision win... stay tuned in the audio player above for all the fine details and in-depth analysis of the event.
Here’s a look at the fight card RESULTS & UPDATED FIGHT RECORDS:
UFC on ESPN 5 MAIN CARD | SAT AUG 3 - 2PM CDT
- 170 lbs - Colby Covington (15-1) DEF. Robbie Lawler (28-14), DEC, Unanimous, 5 Rds
- 155 lbs - Jim Miller (31-13) DEF. Clay Guida (359-18) - SUB, Guillotine Choke, 0:58 R1/3
- 155 lbs - Nasrat Haqparast (11-2) DEF. Joaquim Silva (11-2) - KO/TKO, Overhand Left, 0:36 R2/3, 5:36 Total
- 185 lbs - Gerald Meerschaert (30-11) DEF. Trevin Giles (11-2) - SUB, Guillotine Choke, 1:49 R1/3, 11:49 Total
- 155 lbs - Scott Holtzman (13-3) DEF. Dong Hyun Ma (16-10) - KO/TKO, DR. Stoppage, 5:00 R2/3, 10:00 Total
- 205 lbs - Kennedy Nzechukwu (7-1) DEF. Darko Stošić (13-3) - KO/TKO, DR. Stoppage, 1:49 R3/3, 11:49 Total
ESPN PRELIMS | 11AM CDT
- 170 lbs - Mickey Gall (6-2) DEF. Salim Touahri (10-4) - DEC, Unanimous
- 125 lbs - Antonina Shevchenko (8-1) DEF. Lucie Pudilová (8-5) - SUB, Rear Naked Choke, 1:20 R2/3, 6:20 Total
- 125 lbs - Matt Schnell (14-4) DEF. Jordan Espinosa (14-6) - SUB, Triangle Choke, 1:23 R1/3
- 125 lbs - Lauren Murphy (11-4) DEF. Mara Romero Borella (12-6) - KO/TKO, Knee & Punches, 1:46 R2/3, 11:46 Total
- 185 lbs - Claudio Silva (14-1) DEF. Cole Williams (11-2) - SUB, Rear Naked Choke, 2:35 R1/3
- 125 lbs - Miranda Granger (7-0) DEF. Hannah Goldy (5-1) - DEC, Unanimous
Be sure to follow Zane @TheZaneSimon, Eddie @TheEddieMercado and follow @BloodyElbow for all the latest in MMA happenings. If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on one of our BE Presents Channels: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, blubrry, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM – whichever one happens to be your listening platform of choice. While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.
*Intro/Outro music has been provided by OxBow, starring Eugene S. Robinson.
SBN MMA is a mixed martial arts YouTube channel presented to you by SB Nation MMA websites: Bloody Elbow & MMA Mania; Share & Subscribe to get the latest in MMA News, Video Features, Live Play-by-Plays of UFC events, Post-Fight Shows & More! Feel free to give us a “REC” or leave us some positive comments if you enjoyed our show.