Gregor Gillespie has issued his first-ever official call-out.
The top UFC lightweight prospect said in an Instagram video posted Wednesday that he wants to fight former champion Anthony Pettis at UFC 244, which takes place Nov. 2 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
“For the last six fights, everyone’s been pressuring and annoying me to call somebody out,” Gillespie said. “I never wanted to, but I think it’s time to play the game.
“I want my first call-out to count. ‘Showtime’ Pettis, although I think you’re a great fighter, I think it’s time to go back to 155 and meet me at MSG (on) Nov. 2. What do you say?”
A Wheaties box served as a prop in Gillespie’s video. Gillespie took a bite of the cereal at the end of the clip. That, of course, is in reference to the endorsement deal Pettis signed with Wheaties in 2014 when he was the UFC lightweight champion. Pettis was featured on the cover of a Wheaties box.
Gillespie, the No. 11 lightweight in the UFC, has won six fights in the Octagon. The undefeated 32-year-old has only gone the distance once in his UFC career. He holds notable wins over Yancy Medeiros and Vinc Pichel.
Pettis, meanwhile, moved up to welterweight earlier this year and has went 1-1 in the new division. He is coming off a loss to Nate Diaz earlier this month at UFC 241. He suffered a broken foot in the first round of that bout, and it’s still unclear when he’ll be ready to return to action. It is also unclear whether he plans to stay at 170 pounds or return to lightweight.
View this post on Instagram
So for the last 6 fights everyone has been pressuring and annoying me to call someone out....I never wanted to but it looks like I am going to have to play the game...I want my first “call out” to count so...... @showtimepettis I think you are a great fighter, but you are in the wrong weight class, come back down to 155 and meet me at MSG on November 2. @arielhelwani @danawhite @showtimepettis @ufc @seanshelby