Manny Pacquiao, who became the eldest WBA welterweight champion in history by defeating Keith Thurman this past weekend, hasn’t ruled out a rematch against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Pacquiao (62-7-2) won his third straight fight last Saturday night as he handed Thurman his first loss by way of a split decision. After the fight, Pacquiao was asked about a potential rematch with Mayweather, and the Filipino said he would be willing to take the fight if Mayweather was to return to the ring.
”I don’t have an idea,” he said. “My plan this time is one fight at a time. He’s in retirement and he’s enjoying his retirement. He’s inactive. If he’s willing to come back and willing to fight me, then at the time he will announce it, we can say yes.”
Mayweather and Pacquiao’s first fight, which was long overdue, took place in May of 2015 when Mayweather won by unanimous decision in a fight that didn’t live up to the hype. Mayweather, 42, extended his unbeaten record to 50-0 in August 2017 when he defeated UFC superstar Conor McGregor, since then he beat Tenshin Nasukawa in an exhibition match.
Talking to Boxing Scene, Mayweather’s manager Leonard Ellerbe said Mayweather has no interest in the rematch.
“Floyd has no interest,” Ellerbe said. “He has zero interest. He’s been doing this all his life. And after a while, you get burned out. He’s given the sport everything.”