Conor McGregor was the subject of combat sports headlines on Tuesday when he made his second retirement announcement in three years. And given how such declarations are often temporary in combat sports, it was received with a lot of speculation.
Donald Cerrone, for one, is one of those who are highly skeptical.
“I don’t believe it, I don’t think it is happening,” Cerrone said on SportsCenter (transcript by BJPenn.com). “I really don’t. I think it is a ploy to stay relevant. I don’t think he is going anywhere.”
If you ask him, “Cowboy” is also unsure of McGregor’s motives, but has speculations of his own.
“No, I don’t buy it at all,” Cerrone said. “It will look a lot like what he did but I don’t think that is true. I just think he put that out to stir up the media. I read something he may go to the WWE. I don’t know. He may have to get out of his UFC contract to do that.
“Retiring is one way out, but I doubt it. He’s not going anywhere.”
As for their previously talked about fight that ended up falling through, Cerrone pinned all the blame on “The Notorious.”
“I was just done waiting, done playing the game,” he said. “He is radio silent, so I wasn’t going to sit and wait, sit and wait, and sit and wait, and then all of the sudden something like this happens where he retires.
“I would have just been out. So I said I am not going to sit and wait for you Conor. I am going to take another fight. If you want to fight me in July, I will fight now and I’ll fight you again.”
Less than 12 hours after McGregor made his announcement, the New York Times reported on his alleged sexual assault case in Dublin. According to reports, the Irish UFC star was arrested in January, but was eventually released without charges while the investigation is still ongoing.
His spokesperson later clarified that his retirement announcement was in no way connected to this case.