The New York Times has reported that UFC superstar Conor McGregor was arrested by Irish authorities in January. According to the story, McGregor remains under investigation for an alleged December sexual assault.
The UFC’s top box-office draw is under investigation in Ireland after a woman accused him of sexual assault in December, four people “familiar with the investigation” told the paper.
McGregor, 30, has not officially been charged with any crime. A spokesperson for Ireland’s police service confirmed an “unnamed sportsman” was arrested on Jan. 17 and released without charge. A file had been sent to the national prosecutor’s office for consideration.
The alleged assault is said to have occurred at the Beacon Hotel in Dublin. These allegations were the source of news reports in Ireland last year that did not mention McGregor by name. Due to Irish law news media cannot identify individuals charged with rape unless they are convicted. McGregor has neither been charged nor convicted.
A lawyer for the former two-division UFC champion did not respond to the Times’ request for a comment on the allegations. McGregor has yet to publicly addressed the accusations.
Bloody Elbow will have more as this story develops.