clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Conor McGregor willing to fight in co-main event for ‘rightful shares in the UFC company’

New, comments

Conor McGregor is willing to fight in a UFC co-main event, under one condition...

There’s been a lot of rumors surrounding a potential lightweight bout between Conor McGregor and Donald Cerrone.

Both men are rumoured to be in negotiations with the UFC but, according to ‘Cowboy’, McGregor won’t fight unless he’s in the main event.

“Conor won’t fight unless it’s a main event,” Cerrone said last week (via ESPN). “I don’t know if it’s an ego thing or a status thing for him. I don’t give a s---. I’ll fight anyone, anywhere, and I stand by that all the time. I guess he’s a prima donna and only takes main event spots. I don’t know.”

‘The Notorious’ has headlined eight UFC events with massive success, quickly becoming the biggest star in the promotion and one of the biggest draws in combat sports.

Speaking to fans at a recent Q&A session in Chicago, however, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion said he would be willing to accept a co-headlining slot if Ultimate Fighting Championship offered him a stake in the company.

“I’m ready to fight, I’ve said that. No problem,” McGregor said, per BJPenn.com’s Mike Pendleton. “If the UFC wants me to slide into that co-main event slot and help, what that is, if I slide into the co-main event it’s boosting their brand over fighter rhetoric that they have. There’s no problem with that. If they want me to push that and I have no problem pushing that, give me my rightful shares in the UFC company. That’s all I ask. You can put me on the first fight of ESPN+ but just give me my shares. So, we’ll see what happens.”

Although McGregor didn’t mention an opponent, it’s expected that the 30-year-old will return to the Octagon in July. The Irishman last fought at UFC 229, where he was submitted by reigning lightweight champ, Khabib Nurmagomedov, in the main event.

McGregor was recently involved in an altercation with a man outside a nightclub in Miami and is expected to attend his first court hearing on April 10. The former ‘champ-champ’ is being sued for allegedly destroying the man’s phone.