UFC superstar Conor McGregor is facing a civil lawsuit in South Florida after allegedly smashing a man’s phone earlier this week.
Associated Press first reported the news on Thursday.
The incident took place when the man tried to take a picture with McGregor outside the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel after he was celebrating his mother’s 60th birthday. McGregor has since left jail after being hit with a $12,500 bond for one count of strong-arm robbery and one count of criminal mischief.
The victim in the case, 22-year old Ahmed Abdirzak from England, filed a lawsuit in which he seeks upwards of $15,000, accusing McGregor of battery, assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Video footage showing parts of the incident was also released on Thursday. A man who appears to be McGregor can be seen stomping on the phone as the victim says “Let me get my phone, man,” the video then cuts off.
The Irishman’s criminal defense attorney said Abdirzak’s lawsuit is “a quick effort seeking a payday.” Before the incident occurred this week, McGregor had just finished the community service he was handed for his UFC 223 bus attack that took place in April of last year.