Conor McGregor was apparently one of the many spectators who saw Saturday night’s UFC card in Fortaleza, Brazil unfold. Right after the fight, “The Notorious” gave props to how the event unfolded, while also stating that he was close to finalizing a fight in Rio de Janeiro in 2018, which was supposedly against Rafael dos Anjos.
McGregor’s statements were brought up during Aldo’s post-fight media scrum, which the former 145-pound champion entertained by another call for a rematch. However, he intends for it to happen outside of the 145-pound division.
“If I have that opportunity at the division above, that way I won’t have to suffer through the weight cut, I think it would be a great fight,” Aldo said through an interpreter. “I think in the first fight, we weren’t even (able to) show my work, and he connected a great punch.
“But if we have another opportunity, I think the story’s gonna be different.”
Aldo had previously brought up possibilities about him moving up to 155 pounds in the future. However, he is leaning towards retirement these days, and possibly venturing into other sports outside of mixed martial arts.
“I always believed in myself,” he said. “I know that I could always do it. I have a lot of potential. I have qualities as a champion. I respect everyone. I want to test myself and do other sports. That’s another dream of mine.”
With two fights left in his contract, Aldo is looking at possibly retiring from MMA competition at the end of the year.