Welcome to the 6th Round Retro Post-Fight Show, featuring STRIKEFORCE ‘Playboy Mansion’ from 2007. This is the show that digs into the archives and gives you a comprehensive review of classic MMA events, that span as far back as UFC 1. Join Victor Rodriguez & Mookie Alexander of Bloody Elbow as they relive this Strikeforce event this week, complete with results, analysis, and of course a few laughs.
On September 29th, 2007, STRIKEFORCE, ‘Playboy Mansion’, an twelve-fight card, chock full of first round finishes with only four decisions (one split) on the card, that went down from the infamous Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles, California. This was a fun card, which was an invitation only, $1K a seat event, that was only viewable via an internet stream at the time.
So, the main event that night showcased Lightweights, Gilbert ‘El Nino’ Melendez, who was on a twelve-fight win streak on his professional record and was entering the octagon against Japan’s Tetsuji Kato, who had been fighting professionally for a decade and was coming off a loss to Joe Camacho earlier that year. With hindsight, we now know he only fought professionally three more times after this bout, with two losses and a win, leaving the sport at the end of 2009. In the co-main event we had former UFC, WEC and Rage in the Cage fighter, Joe ‘Diesel’ Riggs, making his Strikeforce debut with a bang, taking down his opponent, Eugene ‘The Wolf’ Jackson at just 3:56 into Round 1 via KO/TKO - Punches, thus ending his career that night.
Also on the card, we had a younger Jorge ‘Gamebred’ Masvidal decimating Matt Lee with Elbows and Punches in Round 1, and a Prelim Opener that featured Anthony ‘Antdawg’ Figueroa, who went on to continue professionally fighting for the following decade.
- MAIN EVENT: Gilbert Melendez DEF. Tetsuji Kato by Unanimous Decision, 3 Rounds - 155 lbs
- Co-Main: Joe Riggs DEF. Eugene Jackson via KO/TKO - Punches at 3:56 of Rd 1 - 185 lbs
- Josh Thomson DEF. Adam Lynn via KO/TKO - Punches at 4:45 of Rd 1 - 155 lbs
- Billy Evangelista DEF. Clint Coronel via Split Decision - 155 lbs
- Jorge Masvidal DEF. Matt Lee via KO/TKO - Elbows & Punches at 1:33 of Rd 1 - 160 lbs
- Bobby Southworth DEF. Bill Mahood via SUB - Rib Injury at 1:55 of Rd 1 - 205 lbs
- Falaniko Vitale DEF. Ron Fields via SUB - Punches at 3:02 of Rd 1 - 195 lbs
- Daniel Puder DEF. Richard Dalton vs Unanimous Decision - 265 lbs
- Dewey Cooper DEF. Adam Smith via Unanimous Decision - 210 lbs
- Daniel McWilliams DEF. Eddy Millis via SUB - Rear Naked Choke at 2:05 of Rd 1 - 185 lbs
- Luke Stewart DEF. Sam Liera via KO/TKO - Punches at 3:40 of Rd 1 - 170 lbs
- Anthony Figueroa DEF. Miguel Linares via KO/TKO - Punches at 2:09 of Rd 1 - 135 lbs
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on one of our other BE Presents Channels: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM – whichever one happens to be your listening platform of choice. While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.