After winning three fights in a row, with two first-round stoppages over two former champions, Francis Ngannou believes his next fight should be for the UFC heavyweight title.
The UFC, however, is looking to book a trilogy bout between Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier, and ‘The Predator’ is growing increasingly impatient with the UFC and their matchmaking policies.
“I asked about the title shot,” Ngannou said in a recent interview with Ariel Helwani (h/t Jordan Ellis of Low Kick MMA). “And they said they have a trilogy between Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier and they don’t know exactly what’s going to happen because Miocic is recovering from an eye injury. So here we are.”
Ngannou, who has won three straight against Curtis Blaydes, Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos, is so frustrated with the UFC that the Cameroonian knockout artist may explore free agency after his contract expires in three fights.
“I might have options. I can’t keep staying like this.”
Ngannou then went on to tease of a fight with undefeated heavyweight Jairzinho Rozenstruik, who called out Ngannou after his highlight reel KO of Alistair Overeem this past Saturday at UFC on ESPN 7.
“At this point, I don’t have many options, so yes, I’m interested as long as I have a fight, I can fight. He made himself very clear and loud about his desire to fight me.”
It should be noted that, although Ngannou claims to be running out of options, the 33-year-old did turn down a short notice, headlining bout against Alexander Volkov last month at UFC Fight Night 163. Despite turning down the fight, Ngannou went on to accuse Volkov of ducking him.