There remains to be uncertainty terms of what Georges St-Pierre’s next career move would be. What has been made public, so far, is that according to him, the “worst has passed” in terms of dealing with his ulcerative colitis condition.
St-Pierre’s long-time coach at the Tristar Gym in Montreal Firas Zahabi did corroborate his previous statements.
“Georges, now, he’s in better shape than I’ve ever seen him, to be honest with you,” Zahabi told MMA Fighting during the Bellator 206 media day this week. “I was just with him on Monday. I’m astonished at how better he’s getting, and the man is just not slowing down. He’s more fit than he was for the Bisping fight. He’s gotten over his medical issues.”
“I literally think that Georges St-Pierre of 2018 would beat Georges St-Pierre of 2013. And I think he can go now and become welterweight champion or middleweight champion again. I think he’s really just the best. The best there is. That’s who Georges St-Pierre is.”
As far as the next opponent goes, Zahabi says it will depend on the most attractive offer that the UFC will be putting forward.
“I think wherever they make him the juiciest offer is where he’s gonna go. He could fight Khabib [Numragomedov], he could fight [Conor] McGregor, he could fight Tyron [Woodley]. He could fight whoever is the biggest, juiciest – the biggest name he can get.”
“I think Georges will step in eventually because he’s got a lot of fight left in him. It’s not something I need to ask him; I just see him on the mats. I see him in the practice room. He’s got a lot of fight in him, and I think he loves to do this.”
St-Pierre has been out of action since November 2017 at UFC 217, when he defeated Michael Bisping to become the undisputed middleweight champion. He was later forced to vacate the title due to his medical condition.