clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Daniel Cormier on potential Jon Jones trilogy: ‘I’ve got a bigger fight with Brock Lesnar’

With a UFC heavyweight title defense against Brock Lesnar in the works, Daniel Cormier isn’t super into fighting Jon Jones for a third time.

Daniel Cormier isn’t all that interested in a Jon Jones trilogy.

The UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion reacted to Jones’ 15-month USADA suspension on Wednesday’s UFC Tonight. When fans learned that Jones is eligible to return to action Oct. 28, Cormier’s name immediately came up, as “DC” has fought him twice. Cormier said the competitor in him would like to avenge his 2015 loss and 2017 knockout loss-turned-no contest, but with a title defense against Brock Lesnar looming, he doesn’t feel the need to square off with Jones a third time.

“I’m the UFC double champion, right?” Cormier said. “I have bosses in the back, and I’m talking about this because I have to. I’ve moved past it. I went about my business, I went and won another title.

“People get excited about the prospect of us fighting again, but I’ve got a fight with Brock Lesnar. Why would I look back? Why would I look back to Jones now when I’ve got a fight? Obviously, as a competitor, I want to fight the guy that has beat me twice. But I’ve got a fight. This is a bigger fight. I’ve got a bigger fight with Brock Lesnar. Why should I go back?”

Jones received a 15-month suspension from USADA, the UFC’s anti-doping partner, on Wednesday. He will be eligible to return in time for November’s UFC 230 at Madison Square Garden but isn’t expected to compete at that event.

Jones tested positive for the steroid Turinabol in a drug test related to his UFC 214 rematch against Cormier. Arbitrators determined that Jones unknowingly took the banned substance by using a contaminated supplement.

Cormier, who won the heavyweight title earlier this summer with a knockout of Stipe Miocic, is expected to face Lesnar within the next six months.