On October 6th, just 62 days from now, Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor will be fighting for the UFC lightweight title in the UFC 229 main event. It’s one of the biggest money fights in the sport’s history, but unlike when McGregor was scheduled to fight Jose Aldo at UFC 189, there won’t be a world tour featuring press conferences in various cities.
“We don’t have time for a world tour,” UFC president Dana White said at the UFC 227 post-fight (via MMA Fighting). “These guys are going to fight the first week of October. Both guys are going to go into camp. We’ll do something fun, we’ll do some different stuff. We’re literally having a big meeting on Monday to get this stuff in order and get it going.”
One of the main points for promoting this grudge match is what transpired at UFC 223, when McGregor threw a dolly at the fighters’ bus containing Nurmagomedov, in apparent retaliation for Khabib’s altercation with Artem Lobov earlier in the week. White isn’t too concerned about all hell breaking loose if they’re physically close to one another in the build-up to this highly anticipated clash.
“We’re pretty confident that we can control what happens,” White said. “What happened in New York, obviously if you look at what happened, everyone was loading onto the buses, everything was done, and our staff still handled it pretty damn well for what was going down.
“We’re very aware. Nothing is going to happen. We’ll be good.”
UFC 229 takes place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, October 6th.