On January 31, 2004 UFC 46: Supernatural went down from the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas Nevada. The top of the billing witnessed Vitor Belfort defeating Randy Couture in their rematch, winning the light heavyweight belt in just 49 seconds. The co-main event of the evening involved “The Prodigy” B.J. Penn stepping up a weight class to dethrone the defending champ, Matt Hughes, and taking his welterweight title. The historic night also involved a grudge rematch between Frank Mir and Wes Sims, with Mir coming up with the second round TKO.
The night also involved the lone UFC appearance for the infamous Lee Murray, who submitted Jorge Rivera with a triangle armbar in under two minutes. To hear the notorious tale of why Murray is currently behind bars, click HERE. Oh, UFC multi-divisional champ Georges Saint Pierre also made his promotional debut as he took on prolific grappler Karo Parisyan. Opening up the card, Renzo Gracie black belt Matt Serra picked up a unanimous decision over Pedro Sauer black belt Jeff Curran.
Join Eddie Mercado and Vic Rodriguez of Bloody Elbow as they relive UFC 46 on the 6th Round Retro post-fight show, complete with results, analysis, and of course a few laughs.
- Vitor Belfort def. Randy Couture by TKO at :49 of round 1: Light Heavyweight Title
- Renato Verissimo def. Carlos Newton by unanimous decision: 175 pounds
- B.J. Penn def. Matt Hughes by submission (RNC) at 4:39 of round 1: Welterweight Title
- Frank Mir def. Wes Sims by TKO at 4:21 of round 2: Heavyweight
- Lee Murray def. Jorge Rivera by submission (Triangle Armbar) at 1:45 of round 1: Middleweight
- Georges Saint Pierre def. Karo Parisyan by unanimous decision: Welterweight
- Josh Thomson def. Hermes Franca by majority decision: Lightweight
- Matt Serra def. Jeff Curran by unanimous decision: Lightweight