According to UFC president Dana White, no discussions are underway just yet to get former two-division champion Conor McGregor back in the Octagon.
Rumors of a lightweight title fight between current titleholder Khabib Nurmagomedov and McGregor have circulated online ever since the Russian won the belt with a lopsided win over Al Iaquinta at UFC 223 in April. Nurmagomedov said last month the promotion was “working on” the fight, and, just last week, McGregor’s head coach John Kavanagh said negotiations are “ongoing.”
As far as White is concerned, however, the Irish superstar first needs to get through his July court case, which stems from an April attack on a UFC bus leading up to UFC 223, before a fight can be discussed.
“I’m not even thinking about Conor — I’m serious,” White said at the UFC 226 post-fight press conference on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. “I know they’re saying there are talks, but we’re not talking about a fight right now. Conor has to get through July. Whatever’s going to happen to him in July, we’ll figure that out. I don’t know what’s going to happen.
“Is he going to get fined? Is he going to be on probation? Is he going to get this, that? When that’s over with, then we’ll start talking about him fighting.”
McGregor hasn’t fought in MMA since a November 2016 lightweight title win over Eddie Alvarez at Madison Square Garden in New York City. His most recent outing was his boxing debut against former world champ Floyd Mayweather, which he lost last August via TKO.