As he turns 41 years of age this month, Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been teasing a possible transition into mixed martial arts. Last week, the retired undefeated boxer released two videos of himself inside an MMA cage, raising some questions if he would indeed make the move.
Rival Conor McGregor fully supports the idea, and even went as far as saying that Mayweather would likely regret not pushing through with this transition. For UFC president Dana White, however, it would be the only sensible move to make, if a rematch between the two superstars were to happen.
“Obviously, the only way making that fight again makes any sense is if he comes over to the Octagon,” White said of Mayweather on Wednesday’s episode of UFC Tonight (transcript via MMA Fighting). “We went over and boxed him, the UFC and Conor McGregor. And now it’s time for him to reciprocate and come fight in the Octagon.”
“Floyd said leading up to the fight with Conor that he would do both. So we’ll see what happens.”
After stopping McGregor inside ten rounds last August and subsequently turning the 50-0 dream into a reality, Mayweather promised that it would be his last fight, just like how he did in 2008 and 2015, respectively. McGregor hasn’t stepped back into the Octagon or a boxing ring to compete since the megafight.