Welcome to this special minisode of the Three Amigos Podcast featuring a supersized Q & A with Captain Kidd about marijuana and why it shouldn’t be on WADA’s banned substance list, and the unfortunate USADA flag of UFC strawweight, Cynthia Calvillo.
Ordered Listing of Questions:
Here are the questions we posed to Iain. As always, we hope you enjoy listening to the show as much as we enjoyed recording it.
- What’s the maximum suspension Calvillo is facing from either USADA or the Nevada Athletic Commission?
- How much weed was detected and what does that tell us?
- Kelvin Gastelum similarly failed for marijuana metabolites last year against Vitor Belfort, but only received a three-month suspension. Do you think we could see something similar for Calvillo, or does Nevada’s commission also having jurisdiction over this potentially complicate her future?
- USADA put out an FAQ on marijuana where they claimed it had some performance enhancing benefits. Is that accurate?
- That same FAQ also listed some negative health risks. Are other substances with similar health risks also banned?
- A few years ago, WADA raised the cannabis threshold from 15 ng/mL to 150 ng/mL, and the current decision limit in the UFC is 180 ng/mL. Instead of raising the limit, why isn’t WADA just taking marijuana off the banned substance list?
- Suppose Calvillo tests positive for an actual PED, it would constitute her second USADA drug test failure. Would her punishment be heavier because it’s her second USADA violation, or could there be leniency because the first failure was just for marijuana?
- How should the UFC proceed moving forward with their anti-doping policy given the flawed WADA code? Should they effectively self-regulate/create their own policy that rights some of the wrongs we see from WADA?
You can check out the entire show here. Remember, if you’re looking for us on SoundCloud or iTunes, we’re under the MMA Nation name. Follow our Twitter accounts: Stephie Haynes, Three Amigos Podcast, Iain Kidd and Mookie Alexander or our Facebook fan page, Three Amigos Pod.