Max Holloway’s repeat win over Jose Aldo on Saturday night at UFC 218 opened up conversations about a possible rematch with Conor McGregor. The two men actually wasted no time rekindling their competition by going at it on social media just hours after fight night.
Now vastly improved since their first fight, Holloway more than welcomes the idea of a rematch against “The Notorious”. But if it fails to materialize, the reigning featherweight champion says the blame should not be pinned on him.
“Tell him I’ll be waiting. If that fight doesn’t happen it’s not on our side, it’s on his,” Holloway said on Monday’s MMA Hour episode (via MMA Fighting). “Right now, I’m focused on champ life.”
“When the exhibition fights come up and I have choices to make I can start calling out boxing guys and tell them, ‘come over to MMA, big shot.’ We’ll see what happens, but it’s just funny, you know? It’s funny.”
“I’m quite surprised because every time they talk about this guy’s UFC career, one name doesn’t come up and that’s Max Holloway. It’s me,” he added.
The last time Holloway and McGregor fought was in August 2013 in a Fight Night card in Boston headlined by Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Chael Sonnen. It was also the last time Holloway was on the losing end of a fight.
Overall, Holloway sneers at the idea that McGregor suddenly brought up the fight that took place more than four years ago.
“You know, it’s funny. The guy’s funny, I couldn’t help but laugh,” Holloway said. “I’m on his mind apparently.”
“This guy has got a win over me when we were kids in a Fight Night show — I think the main event was Sonnen and “Shogun” Rua. I don’t know if the two of them are in the UFC anymore.”
“You know me and him made 12K that night and I think he’s happy to hold onto that. That’s the kind of person he is.”
McGregor is currently involved in some controversy after reports surfaced about him allegedly punching an associate of Ireland’s Kinahan cartel during a bar brawl in Dublin last week.