A rumored welterweight title fight between Tyron Woodley and Nate Diaz made the headlines on Wednesday and, according to the current champion, ‘T-Wood’, he is waiting on Diaz to sign the contract for UFC 219.
Woodley was recently featured as a guest on TMZ’s The Hollywood Beatdown, where he called Diaz ‘scared’ and said the championship bout is ‘50 percent completed’.
“I’m fired up about people who tell you don’t be scared homie, and then they scared homie,” Woodley said, per Fansided’s Adam Stocker.
“It’s not a possible fight, it’s a 50 percent completed fight. You’ve got one half of the party that’s been offered, that accepted, and then you’ve got the other side (Diaz) that’s got a whole bunch of excuses. That’s kinda what I’m fired up about.”
Woodley, who defended his welterweight belt again Demian Maia this past Summer at UFC 214, told Stockton’s Diaz to stop smoking pot and acting like a wannabe gangster.
“Guys in our sport, bump their gums quite a bit, and they get you to think they are these huge tough guys, these gangsters. That they will fight anybody, anytime and then when they get in front of a person like me, the crickets start coming out and they don’t really want to fight,” Woodley continued.
“Get off of the pot, quit crapping yourself, you’ve taken plenty of butt whoppings before, this ain’t going to be any different. Get your big paycheck and drift off into the fall.”
Diaz, 32, hasn’t fought since he lost the welterweight rematch to Conor McGregor last year at UFC 202. Prior to that, the fan favorite submitted McGregor in a short notice fight at UFC 196 and beat Michael Johnson via unanimous decision at UFC on FOX 17.
Woodley, 35, knocked out Robbie Lawler to capture the 170-pound title last year and has gone on to defend it against Stephen Thompson and Demian Maia.
With UFC 219 scheduled to take place next month, Dec. 30 at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena, expect the UFC to announce Woodley’s next title defense in the coming days.