The last time Oscar De La Hoya stepped inside the boxing ring in 2008, he was outclassed in an eighth-round stoppage by a then 29-year-old Manny Pacquiao, forcing him to retire at 35 years of age. Now 44, “The Golden Boy” says he is planning a comeback to face UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor.
Speaking through Dash Radio on Monday, the six-division world boxing champion stated that he had been back in training to call out “The Notorious”, whom he believes he can make quick work of.
“You know I’m competitive,” De La Hoya said on (via MMA Fighting). “You know I still have it in me. I’ve been secretly training. Secretly training. I’m faster than ever, and stronger than ever. I know I could take out Conor McGregor in two rounds. I’ll come back for that fight. Two rounds.”
“Just one more. I’m calling him out. Two rounds. That’s all I need. That’s all I’m going to say.”
De La Hoya admitted that he would easily be dismantled under MMA rules, which is why like Floyd Mayweather Jr., he is looking to face McGregor under boxing rules.
“He’s a big Irishman. He’s the king,” De La Hoya said.
“Hey, let’s get it straight: in the cage, he would freakin’ destroy me. He would destroy me. No, [we have to fight] in the ring.”