“No, that’s not true,” White said of McGregor-Diaz III, per MMA Weekly’s Ken Pishna. “Not true. It has literally not even been talked about.”
McGregor and Diaz went to war in back-to-back welterweight fights at UFC 196 and UFC 202, with Diaz winning the first bout via submission and ‘The Notorious’ coming back to win the rematch via majority decision.
Diaz, 32, hasn’t fought since he lost the rematch last year, and McGregor, the current UFC lightweight champion, is recovering from his Summer boxing epic with Floyd Mayweather Jr, a fight which he lost via 10th round TKO.
White, the UFC’s longtime head promoter, would love to see McGregor vs. Ferguson in Ireland but said the title unification bout will ‘probably’ be booked for Las Vegas.
“(Croke Parke) sounds great, but it’s probably going to be Tony Ferguson in Las Vegas,” he said. “But we do want to do Croke Park. The reason we haven’t done Croke Park with Conor is because we can’t get it done over there. They have a curfew on what time you got to be out of there and noise ordinances.”
UFC 219 is the last pay-per-view of the year and is scheduled to take place on Dec. 30 at the T-Mobile Arena in Vegas. According to an earlier interview from White, McGregor wants to return to the Octagon by the end of the year, which would coincide with the upcoming UFC 219 event. “He wants to fight again this year,” said White.
Ferguson, who choked out Kevin Lee earlier this month to win the interim title, called out Conor ‘McNugget’ in the post-fight interview and would probably love to fight the Dubliner by the end of the year.