Chael Sonnen recently said he is open to fighting again, but also made it clear there may be a roadblock in the way of a potential return: passing a drug test.
The former two-time UFC title challenger was placed in the USADA drug-testing pool and tested by the UFC's anti-doping partner last month. Sonnen would be eligible to return to action before the end of the year if the results come back negative.
The UFC has not confirmed Sonnen's drug test results yet, but, over social media on Thursday, the 39-year-old gave the mixed martial arts community an idea of what to expect when the organization does.
Basically clean. https://t.co/BKyLW63AXp— Chael Sonnen (@ChaelSonnen) August 5, 2016
"Basically clean," Sonnen wrote when asked about the drug test results.
USADA declined to comment on the situation when contacted by BloodyElbow.com on Friday.
"I don't want to be tested like everybody else," Sonnen told Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour last month. "I want it to be on a curve. I'd like a curved system. Oh, you had seven things last time, this time you've only got three. That's pretty good. That's the kind of test I'm looking for. And I'm not sure that's out there.
"I took a bunch of stuff that you can't take, and I want to make sure [it's out]," he added. "I thought that made sense. Like yeah, I don't want to jump in this thing if it's just all gonna blow up in my face. [USADA] laughed like what I was saying was crazy. No, that's exactly what happened."
Until last month, Sonnen was serving a two-year suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for a pair of failed drug tests. In May 2014, he popped for anastrozole and clomiphene and then human growth hormone (HGH), recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO) and anastrozole the month after, both in out-of-competition tests ahead of his fight against Vitor Belfort at UFC 175 in July 2014. Sonnen vs. Belfort was subsequently pulled from the card.