It's likely that Anderson Silva is the last of Jon Jones' worries right now. On Wednesday, just three days' out from the blockbuster UFC 200 pay-per-view, it was announced that 'Bones' had been removed from the card following a failed drug test conducted by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).
Jones was supposed to rematch Daniel Cormier in a light heavyweight title unification bout in the main event, but the 28-year-old is now looking at facing a hefty suspension from the USADA. In a bizarre turn of events, former pound-for-pound great Anderson Silva was announced as Jones' replacement.
Silva will face Cormier in a three-round non-title fight on the main card, and the Brazilian hopes Jones isn't too upset with the news.
"I was sad," Silva told the media after last night's UFC Fight Night: dos Anjos vs. Alvarez lightweight title fight (h/t Marc Raimondi of MMA Fighting). "I know he went through a lot and I know he was very well prepared to fight Daniel Cormier. With USADA coming into the UFC, things have gotten a lot more professional. You have to watch out for everything we put into our bodies, every supplement. Things can happen. I think something happened and I hope he doesn't get mad I took his place."
Silva, who admitted to a complete lack of preparation for the bout, joked that he would have to 'run' away from Cormier a lot.
"I think it's gonna be interesting. I'm gonna have to run from him a lot. I'm joking, boss. I'm joking. I come to fight," Silva said to Dana White.
The UFC 200 extravaganza will now feature a women's bantamweight title fight between Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes in the main event and is set to take place on July 9 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.