Once again, Jon Jones' future in the UFC is in jeopardy. Yesterday, it was announced that the pound-for-pound #1 had been removed from his UFC 200 main event with Daniel Cormier after flagging for a potential anti-doping violation by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).
'Bones', who looked to settle the score with 'DC' in a light heavyweight title unification bout, was flagged for an out-of-competition drug test conducted on June 16. The 28-year-old marks a long list of fighters who've been suspended by the USADA since their partnership with the UFC last year. Frank Mir, Lyoto Machida and Yoel Romero are just some of the athletes who have felt the effects of the UFC's revamped drug testing policy.
UFC president Dana White, who admitted the news was a 'brutal' blow to Saturday night's pay-per-view, said he's undecided on booking a Jones vs. Cormier rematch in the future.
"I don't know. We'll see how this thing goes down. Jones might get two years for this. We'll see," White said on Wednesday, per Damon Martin of FOX Sports. "We'll see what he says to me."
Although Jones' removal from UFC 200 has sent shockwaves throughout the MMA community, White is glad that the USADA are helping to clean up the sport.
"This is the way it should be. We have the best program in all of sports. It's the way it should be," he said. "Obviously, I was at dinner when I got the call and I literally like 'Jesus Christ, I must have jinxed myself' cause I kept going 'everything is going so smooth' and nobody had been hurt. Everybody was healthy so this was a pretty brutal phone call. These types of things are going to happen and it could have been a lot worse."
Jones is expected to release a public statement later today. In his absence from UFC 200, Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt has been bumped up to the new main event.
The PPV, which still features a who's who of UFC champions, takes place this Saturday, July 9, at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.