Daniel Cormier is used to receiving good news from UFC president Dana White. But from the moment White called the UFC light heavyweight champion asking to meet in-person, he knew something was wrong. It wasn't long before "DC" learned his UFC 200 opponent, Jon Jones, had been pulled from their highly anticipated rematch due to a potential USADA violation.
"I had a very bad feeling in the pit of my stomach," Cormier said at a press conference Wednesday night. "To hear something like this is very sad from a competitive and financial standpoint. I don’t know exactly to explain how I’m feeling right now.
"I’m just very disappointed," he continued. "I’ve worked really hard to prepare for this. You take care of what you can take care of and that’s what I did. More than anything, I’m really disappointed."
Cormier isn't one to back-down from a fight. He wants to remain on UFC 200. But if fighting a late replacement opponent doesn't make sense for all parties involved, he's willing to fight on a later card.
"I’ve trained hard and long. And if anyone would fight, I’d fight. But if it doesn’t make sense for the organization or for me, then it doesn’t make sense. So I really don’t know what’s next. It’s very difficult to ask someone to come into this situation."
With Jones possibly facing a two-year suspension due to his failed drug test, it is unlikely Cormier and Jones will ever square off against each other again -- a highly anticipated rematch down the drain. Cormier is ready to move on from the rivalry with Jones, which lasted nearly two years.
"This chapter in my life had been dragging me and it’s made me ugly," he said. "I have to move forward and start to clear my mind in regards to him.
"I’m just here to fight and try to be an example for kids to look up to," he said. "If you do the right thing and be nice to people and care about people, people will care about you. I’ve made my mistakes, I’m trying to do things the best way that I can."