Many MMA fans celebrated Lesnar's return to the Octagon but things took a turn for the worse when it was revealed that the 39-year-old had failed an out-of-competition drug test stemming from June 28. The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) released a statement yesterday but have yet to reveal which substance Lesnar tested positive for.
Hunt, a fan favorite and combat sports veteran of 69 fights, told MMA Fighting that he wants half of Lesnar's purse or to be released from the UFC.
"Hunt asked UFC officials for half of Lesnar's purse or else he would like to be released from his contract effective immediately," Ariel Helwani reported on Friday.
Hunt has previously fought and beat Frank Mir and Antonio 'Big Foot' Silva, both of whom tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.
The New Zealander says that despite the USADA's best efforts, cheaters are still getting off too easily.
"The cheaters get a slap on the wrist and walk off," Hunt told MMA Fighting. "What penalty or deterrent is there to make them think twice? Nothing. And the [Nevada Athletic Commission], why should these [expletive] get anything? They are not the ones who had to fight with Lesnar or lose [to him]. I lost."
Prior to UFC 200, Hunt claimed Lesnar was 'juiced to the gills' so it came as no surprise to the former K-1 world champion that Lesnar tested positive. Despite the fact, it's still frustrating for Hunt to step into the Octagon against cheats.
It's likely that the bout will be overturned to a No Contest and Lesnar could face a two-year suspension. It's unlikely, however, that the UFC will compensate Hunt half of Lesnar's purse. The WWE superstar is reported to have made a staggering $2.5 million at UFC 200; the highest ever payout for the promotion.
Bloody Elbow will provide all the latest coverage as the story develops.