clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Dana White: Decision to remove Conor McGregor from UFC 200 not 'about money'

New, comments

UFC president Dana White went in-depth into the reasoning behind the UFC's decision to pull Conor McGregor from UFC 200 in an interview with FS1's Colin Cowherd on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor sent out a cryptic Tweet stating he "decided to retire young," which caused mayhem throughout the mixed martial arts universe. It was difficult to believe what appeared to be an abrupt retirement message, until several notable journalists, including MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani, reported through their sources that the tweet was not a hoax.

Later in the day, we received confirmation from UFC president Dana White that the promotion decided to pull him from his upcoming rematch with Nate Diaz in the headliner of UFC 200 -- because McGregor refused to promote the card.

Although McGregor's fight had just been officially yanked from what could be the biggest fight card in UFC history, none of the possible retirement questions had been answered. In fact, the news created even more questions.

White appeared on FOX Sports' The Herd on Wednesday to discuss the UFC's decision to pull the featherweight champ from the upcoming mega-card.

"Conor basically said he didn't want to come to Vegas. Tour was Vegas, Stockton, and New York. He said he didn't want to do it," White said, sticking to his original explanation of why McGregor was pulled from the card.

"You can't make everyone happy. One thing no one is exempt from is promoting their fights. ... Conor wasn't planning on delivering this weekend and I had to pull him. It's what had to be done."

After the news broke on Tuesday, there was lots of speculation regarding the "real" reason for the UFC's decision to pull McGregor. A report stated it was because McGregor asked the promotion for $10 million to fight Diaz in July, but White shot down those rumors in his interview with Colin Cowherd.

"Never, ever was this about money," he said, calling the reporters that believed the situation was about money "hacks" simply looking for Internet "clicks."

McGregor hasn't released any sort of statement since his initial retirement tweet on Tuesday, at the time of the writing of this article. White said that McGregor needs to clear up whether or not he is actually retiring, because if he is, the promotion will strip him of his 145-pound title.

"Conor needs to clean this up fast or Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar are fighting for the vacant featherweight title."

But White also added he ultimately does not see McGregor stepping away from the sport.

"I do not think he is [retiring]," he said.

Despite McGregor refusing to show up to do promotional work in the United States of America causing the UFC to scrap the Diaz rematch, White says the UFC is still on good terms with the Irishman.

"I'm not mad at Conor. Conor made a decision and made a choice to not fight on this card ... The show will roll on. Our relationship isn't damaged at all."

The UFC is currently looking for a new main event for the landmark card UFC 200 with McGregor out of the picture at this time. With that being said, White said the door for McGregor will be always open if he still wants to fight at UFC 200.

"Yeah, if he called me after this interview we would probably still do it. We're spending $10 million in promotion for UFC 200."

UFC 200 takes place live from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on July 9.