Once again Alexei Auld is back to grill Eugene S. Robinson, author of Fight: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Ass-Kicking but Were Afraid You'd Get Your Ass Kicked for Asking and myself with some PR stumpers from the world of combat sports.
Today's puzzlers include:
- You're the UFC. Days after scheduling Jon Jones to fight for the UFC Light Heavyweight title at UFC 197 in April, KRQE News 13 reported that Bones was cited for driving without a license, registration, or insurance. His punishment? Three days community service. During the MMA Hour, his manager said "It's not a big deal." The New Mexico Corrections Department rep told MMA Fighting "Traffic infractions are minor in nature." Jon Jones' instagram video response? "They're talking about tickets." What are you talking about?
- You're Yoel Romero. After making a public case to Ariel Helwani that your failed post-fight drug test was due to a contaminated supplement that contained an unlabeled banned substance, you are awaiting a USADA ruling which could range from a reprimand to a two year suspension. What private or public appeal are you making with the UFC regarding your return to Middleweight title contention?
- You're Cam Newton. After introducing yourself to casual Super Bowl viewers as a tantrum throwing loser, you sulked and walked out of the post game press conference after offering a series of curt, monosyllabic answers. What PR moves, if any, do you make to control your brand before the new season begins?
- You're Karl Rove. Your super PAC spent millions on negative ads in New Hampshire attacking Hillary Clinton for her close ties to Wall Street. Will you take your show on the road to South Carolina highlighting the Clinton's terrible record of incarcerating black people and her large campaign contributions from private prison interests
- REGULAR FEATURE CURVEBALL (KEEPING IT UNDER WRAPS)
- TEACHABLE MOMENT: You're Florida Tea Party Senator and presidential candidate Marco Rubio. Barack Obama was allegedly recruited by Senate leader Harry Reid as a presidential candidate to prevent a return to the Clinton era. Reid saw a unique, historic opportunity that had to occur before Obama established a voting record which would undermine his appeal as a fresh, new alternative to politics as usual. And it paid off. Big time. You followed the Obama blueprint. You're a one term Senator. Young. Minority. And you almost convinced the world that third place in Iowa was a victory. Within a week, New Jersey Governor and Republican Presidential candidate Chris Christie vivisected you during the New Hampshire debate by questioning your readiness and exposing your Senate voting truancy. And how did you respond? By repeating the same twenty-five second speech three times during the debate which had no relevance to the questions at hand. What moves can you make to prevent these cuts from deepening and eviscerating your candidacy?
- VIEWER QUESTION FROM LEG PUNCH: Do you think Roy Nelson will be fined for putting an outside sponsor T-shirt on his kid at the open workouts?
- EUGENE'S LOST BATTALION/PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH
- Much much more!
Be sure to subscribe to MMA Nation on YouTube, follow us on iTunes and feel free to listen to the audio version of the show on SoundCloud.