clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt: Brock Lesnar’s one-year suspension wasn’t ‘harsh enough’

New, 61 comments

Mark Hunt thinks the NAC should have issued a harsher punishment to Brock Lesnar for his two failed drug tests.

UFC 200: Tate v Nunes Photo by Rey Del Rio/Getty Images

On Thursday, it was announced that Brock Lesnar was suspended for one year and fined $250,000 by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) for his two failed drug tests in June and July.

Lesnar, a former UFC heavyweight champion, failed a drug test two weeks prior to his bout with Mark Hunt at UFC 200 and one on the day of the event on July 9. The 39-year-old tested positive for the same substance in both tests: Hydroxy-clomiphene, an anti-estrogen agent.

Hunt, though, whose decision loss to Lesnar was overturned to a No Contest, doesn’t think the punishment was harsh enough.

"It's not harsh enough considering he gets the same [punishment] as Jon Jones and Jones didn't fight," Hunt told Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting. "Would that penalty have sufficed if I had died or been maimed?"

Jones, 29, also tested positive for the same anti-estrogen agent (as well as Letrozole metabolite) but was removed from his UFC 200 headliner against Daniel Cormier. The reason being that Lesnar’s results were not available until after his co-main event against ‘Super Samoan’.

Hunt has been a vocal spokesperson against the use of performance-enhancing drugs in MMA and hired a lawyer in August to challenge the UFC’s policies. Three of his opponents -- Lesnar, Frank Mir and Antonio Silva -- have all tested positive for banned substances and the combat sports veteran demands to be compensated in the future.

Hunt has demanded to be released from his UFC contract if there is no clause in place to protect him from athletes that test positive for performance-enhancing drugs in the future.

"Like I said, if you’re not going to make it an even playing field or a fair go, you’re not going to put a clause in my contract that says that makes me a feel a bit more better, well then why should I…I’m already in a contract I can’t get out of,” he said last month.

Hunt is considered one of the most accomplished fighters in combat sports and developed somewhat of a cult following after his UFC career turn around in 2011. The 42-year-old is currently ranked as the No. 7 heavyweight in the world.