clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Shane Carwin says he accepted fight with Fedor Emelianenko two weeks ago

On Sunday, Shane Carwin said that he recently accepted a fight against Fedor Emelianenko. But it doesn’t look like it’s happening.

UFC 111: St-Pierre v Hardy Weigh-In Photo by Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images

Shane Carwin’s return to the cage seems to be getting closer and closer.

On Sunday, the former interim UFC heavyweight champion revealed on Twitter that he recently accepted a fight against mixed martial arts legend Fedor Emelianenko. No further details were given.

This followed a tweet of his that contained a photo of a Rizin FF glove, hinting that Carwin perhaps signed with the Japanese-based organization.

To avoid further confusion, Carwin later added that, although he agreed to fight Emelianenko, the former PRIDE champion will likely never compete again. Therefore, despite Carwin’s earlier comments, a fight between Carwin and Emelianenko seems unlikely to ever occur, never mind just being far from a done deal.

However, Carwin did state that he has in fact been in discussions with Rizin FF, but that the dotted line has yet to be signed.

Carwin committed to a comeback early last month after multiple hints during the summer. He announced that he had terminated his contract with the UFC and was a free agent.

Carwin’s (12-2) biggest accomplishment in MMA was winning the UFC interim heavyweight belt with a first round knockout of Frank Mir in 2010. After winning the interim belt, he unified the titles in a fight against then-champ Brock Lesnar, in which he dropped a submission loss. He hasn’t fought since a decision loss to Junior dos Santos at UFC 131 in 2011.