Jose Aldo, retired fighter? Not so fast.
Aldo, the current interim UFC featherweight champion, has been very vocal about his dissatisfaction with the UFC over the past month. From initially requesting his release from the promotion to saying that he’d be willing to take a dive in his next fight to terminate his contract, he’s said it all.
Even though the Brazilian went as far as saying that he would like to try out a new sport less than a month ago, his thoughts seem to have changed.
In a recent tweet, Aldo said that he may not step away from mixed martial arts after all.
Repensando na aposentadoria do MMA, conversei com minha família e vendo os pedidos dos meus Fans coisas boas virao para vocês. Thanks Russia— Jose Aldo Junior (@josealdojunior) October 22, 2016
“I've been rethinking my retirement from MMA,” Aldo wrote (translation via BloodyElbow.com’s Lucas Rezende). “I talked to my family, and, after seeing all the requests from my fans, there will be some good stuff coming for you guys. Thanks Russia.”
Aldo met with UFC president Dana White and UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby at the promotion’s headquarters in Las Vegas this past Wednesday. After the meeting, Aldo said that it went well and exactly as he expected.
Aldo was one of the longest-reigning champions in UFC history until a devastating knockout loss to Conor McGregor at UFC 194 last December. He’s rebounded since then, however, capturing interim gold with a decision win over Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 this past summer.