Khabib Nurmagomedov and Anthony Pettis have traded blows on social media for months, but when the two lightweight studs crossed paths on a crowded bus recently, they were nothing but respectful to each other. The verbal warfare kicked off in the lead-up to UFC 185 when the Dagestani fighter predicted dos Anjos to 'smash' Pettis.
After 'Showtime' lost the belt, Nurmagomedov rubbed salt in the wound by claiming Pettis was 'never a true champion' and told him to 'go back to the prelims'. Pettis returned fire news when broke of 'The Eagle's' injury which forced him out of a fight with Donald Cerrone.
@TeamKhabib karma is a bitch hope that disability pays well!!!— Anthony Pettis (@Showtimepettis) April 30, 2015
Since their recent encounter on a bus ride, however, Khabib and Pettis may not be so quick to diss each other from the comfort of their keyboards in the future. The #3 ranked 155 lbs. contender discussed his confrontation with Pettis to MMAJunkie.
"I sat down on a bus, and he came and sat down next to me - there was no room," Nurmagomedov told MMAjunkie Radio. "He had to sit with me. I asked, ‘When are you coming back?' He said, ‘Maybe in November or December. When are you coming back?' I said, ‘I can come back in October and November, but if the UFC says I need to wait to December to fight Pettis, I'll wait.'
"He said, ‘We'll see what happens.' It wasn't bad."
Nurmagomedov may have found a new lightweight rival in Nate Diaz. The two engaged in a brawl last week at World Series of Fighting 22 in Las Vegas. Since the scuffle, Diaz blasted the sambo specialist on social media which followed with Nurmagomedov's request for a grudge match in the UFC.
Anthony Pettis last fought in March where he lost the lightweight championship to Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 185. The Duke Roufus standout was expected to bounce back at UFC on FOX 16 where he was scheduled to take on Myles Jury but another injury forced the former champ out of the bout and it's expected he'll return in November or December.